Blog Masthead

Help for Families through the United Way’s 211 Service Line

 44 United Way 211


Sometimes we all need a little help in life—and with the cost of living always increasing for growing families, it’s comforting to know there are local service organizations that can offer a little help. One of the most comprehensive resources in South Carolina is the United Way’s

2-1-1 Service. This one-stop resource helps parents or guardians find assistance in local communities throughout the state—part of the United Way’s long-standing commitment to fund information and referral services in local communities.

How does 2-1-1 work?
Callers simply dial 2-1-1 for information on vital services in their local community. 2-1-1 is free, confidential, and available 24 hours a day, every day. Multilingual call specialists are ready to help callers find the resources and services they need.

What kind of services are available at 2-1-1? From newborn and maternity help to counseling services for youth and family, here are highlights of some of the services available through 2-1-1:

  • Food: From food pantries and other grocery store assistance through church options and other charitable programs, 2-1-1 also offers information on senior food programs, food assistance for children and babies along with other food services and education.
  • Infant, Children and Maternal Clothing: From families needing diaper and wipes to organizations that offer infant clothing and maternity clothes, 2-1-1 has a resource listing for clothing as well as toys and other household items that deserving families need.
  • Newborn, Maternity and Parenting Resources: From early childhood education and literacy development programs to bully prevention and nutrition education, parents and guardians can find a host of agencies, non-profits and other social service organizations available throughout the state to help new families be the best they can be.
  • Healthcare: 2-1-1’s healthcare section has links to healthcare services around the state. Here you can find general hospital services; eye, dental and hearing care; pharmacy and prescription drug assistance and public, community and emergency clinics that can help out both children and their families.

Throughout South Carolina, there are a multitude of agencies and nonprofits that can help with housing and utility assistance. Families can also search for transitional housing help along with rent and mortgage assistance.

To search for services organizations that can help you and your family, call 211. If you call from a mobile/cell phone, you will need to use the toll-free number: 1-866-892-9211. You can also search the online database of available services at


By ABC Quality Team on June 16, 2020